Case Study / BPL
Improving Access to Free Wi-Fi Outdoors (While Providing Shade)!
As a Summer Fellow at the Boston Mayor’s Office of New Urban Mechanics, I supported a pilot project to bring shaded outdoor seating to six Boston Public Libraries. I’m happy to say the project was a success, and is now being expanded to other library branches, as well as permanently funded and maintained at the original branches.
My primary responsibilities:
- Support physical installation of the six pilot projects.
- Promote the project within the local community and identify potential partnerships.
- Plan & conduct evaluation of the installations using Gehl’s Public Life Tools.
- Conduct interviews with users of the pop-up spaces.
- Propose improvements & next steps for the pilots.
You can learn more about the project on Boston.gov at https://www.boston.gov/bpl-outdoors
The East Boston Library installation (designed and installed by Sasaki).
> GO HOME <